Monday, December 15, 2008

Conclusion and Thoughts

Over the past five weeks I have learnt a lot about the world and how it works. I find it hard to believe that by the time I have finished typing this paragraph 250 children will have died due to poverty. They didn't do anything to deserve this but yet they still die. I also find it hard to believe that while I'm writing this paragraph $275 million will be spent today on an apparent "War on Terror". Personally I don't think these two add up yet we are doing nothing about it. People can argue that these people (yes they are people just like you and me) were just born in the wrong place and the fact that their country is geographically in a poor location is just not acceptable. I don't see why we in the "First World" cant sacrifice a small slice of our luxurious lives so that our fellow human beings can just simply live. I've learnt that the world is an unfair place but that we can all help out in our own ways to make the lives of the less fortunate bearable. Finally Id like to say that if you are reading this on your computer the chances are that you are fairly well off...enjoy it, and if you have a chance, help out someone in need not just because it is the right thing to do but because you might be giving them a chance to get through the day or week.

2 comments:

  1. Very good post. But just one thing -- don't call for generous donations and more charity to end poverty. Poverty and misery can't be overcome through charity, although it is of great significance in short-run. Ending povert will need change of system.

    ReplyDelete